You are not alone when it comes to wanting to give your children something more than just extra toys during the holiday season. I know that it can take up a lot of time and space to have so many toys that you just don't know what to do with the excess and this time of year can turn into a toy explosion of sorts if you are not careful.
We have nine children so you can imagine what the holidays look like for us--it can be a challenge to find homes for toys and to keep everything organized!
So if you are looking for non-gift ideas to get your children for gifts this year I thought I would write a list to help you. It is also good to use for other members of the family if you just need some inspiration:
10 NON-TOY GIFT IDEAS FOR THE FAMILY
1, BOOKS - Book are great for children and helps to keep their young minds stimulated! I remember growing up how the Nancy Drew mystery collection was my absolute favorite and books became my best friend! I read them over and over again.
And if you need book inspiration, check out my list here and this one for wholesome reading for boys.
2 GIFT CARDS - This comes in handy for me, especially since I like to do most of my shopping with Amazon Prime. I just hope over to the site and click a few buttons for the giftcards and they are delivered to my door via free shipping and without me having to go out into the cold! Movie giftcards are popular with many of our extended family too.
3. CLOTHES - I found that the older my children grow the one thing that they want more of is clothes and it is nice that they can wear them all through the year. I like gifts that are practical and won't be wasted!
4. PASSES - You can buy passes to go their favorite places and buy them an experience and memories for fun!
5. MEMBERSHIPS - A membership to a museum, gym, YMCA, zoo or any place that they like would be great for the entire year of enjoyment!
6. MUSIC - One year I bought my older daughter a record player and records to some oldies that she had requested. She loved it and listened to it practically every day since she is a music lover, she was also the child who would ask for Itune gift cards so she could purchase her favorite songs.
7. ELECTRONICS/ TECH - This is a biggy for me since I love shopping at Best Buy and don't feel like it is Christmas until I get some shopping done there! I love checking out the newest tech (I did some on Amazon this year too) and getting a few things for the family there that they can use all year long. I am so excited about what I got them this year but can't share it here or they might find out what I got them and I am already having a hard time keeping it a secret! I find that most of the electronics we buy we use pretty much on a daily basis so they are worth every penny in my opinion.
8. INSTRUMENTS - I remember a few years ago buying our children violins when they were younger for Christmas. They were so excited and enjoyed them. As they learned how to use them were able to use their musical instruments to bless others.
9. CLASSES - Karate, music, cake decorating and even online. There are so many classes out there, just find what interests your child and sign them up!
10. ART & CRAFT SUPPLIES - My younger children especially tend to ask for these. Last year my daughter requested pastel drawing chalk with a pad for drawing and she used it all year long! It is great because art and craft supplies encourage them to stay creative, use their imaginations, and grow new skills.
11. TAKE A TRIP - Grab a plane ticket or fill up the gas tank and travel somewhere! We have friends who like to do this and it creates memories and fun for the whole family!
I hope this was list was a good starting point for you!
What would you add to the list?
Share them in the comments below!
You might also like:
Note: This post contains affiliate links--thanks for your support!