"Every wise woman buildeth her house; but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands." Proverbs 14:1
I think we can all agree that none of us wants to be the foolish woman described in Proverbs 14. There are the obvious things such as anger and arguing, but what are some everyday things that we overlook and are not so obvious that might be tearing down our homes without us knowing? Let us take a look:
1. Putting other things before God.
2. Children more important than husband. Husband neglected.
3. Ministry at church (or other things) becomes an idol and first priorities are disregarded.
4. Not staying within your budget.
5. Allowing emotions to control her (and not God's word).
6. Discontentment with the Lord's provisions.
7. Listening to lies from the enemy.
8. Being so enticed by the world (through music, media, magazines, tv shows, you name it) that it leads you to sin
9. Focus on self or self pity.
10. Not considering your husband/family before taking on new commitments.
11. Not managing our homes well.
12. Neglecting to train our children.
13. Never being home.
13. Gossip and slander.
14. Not filtering everything through scripture.
15. Coming up with excuses as to why we do the above.
This list is not obviously not exhaustive as many more could be added to it. But I see these as being some of the main areas women struggle with. This list is not meant to discourage but instead it can be a starting point for assessing how we live our lives on a day-to-day basis. When we are actively plucking down our homes we are not exalting God. Titus 2 actually teaches women to be 'discreet, chaste, keepers at home, obedient to their own husbands so that the word of God be not blasphemed.'
Amazing, is it not, to think that our actions are so powerful that they can actually exalt God or blaspheme His Word. I don't want to go through life knowing that I had a hand in blaspheming His Holy Word. Back in biblical times, people were stoned for being blasphemers!!! Instead of being in the category of those being stoned, us woman can be home builders. Home builders who lift up the Word of God just not in word but in deed. See, our lives need to preach the gospel. We can talk until we are blue in the face but are actions are louder than words. Actions require commitment and self government. Actions require servanthood and a dying to self.
So where ever you might be on this list, ladies----let us strive to be home builders. Building up our homes for Christ and His glory alone.
"The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And will all your acquiring, get understanding. Prize her, and she will exalt you; She will honor you if you embrace her. She will place on your head a garland of grace. She will present you with a crown of beauty." Proverbs 4:7-9