I know that many of you have been out and about getting your Christmas list done and shopping for loved ones. I have really tried to simplify my Christmas shopping this year and did most of it on Amazon this year so that I could be home with the children more (it also didn't hurt that they had free two day shipping either using Amazon Prime) it has been such a blessing and I have been able to rest more than I normally would during the holidays!
I still have had to hit the stores though since I have children who wanted to do their shopping in a real store. It has been fun to spend time with them and still be a part of the Christmas bustle.
One thing I like to do is teach my children lessons when we are out, especially during the holiday season of how they can be a blessing to others and not lost the true spirit of Christmas in the midst of all the buying.
So here are a few ways to spread some Christmas charity and cheer while you are out and about:
1. Pray for those in the store - everyone needs Jesus. Life is short so pray for their salvation. It is the best gift you can give a stranger!
2. Let people in line go ahead of you - see that stressed mom with the baby crying? Yes, let her go first. Or that guy with 2 items when you have 50? Him too. Why? Just because it is good to be kind.
3. Say a kind word to the cashier, store worker and store manager - Just yesterday I was at Best Buy and this young guy spent a lot of time helping us. I asked the guy who checked me out to tell the manager how I received excellent service by this person. He ended up announcing it to the managers and all the workers on the mic immediately. I hope that blessed his day in some small way!
4. Give away a discount with a coupon - sometimes when you are in a store you might have an extra coupon. Give that coupon to the next person in line or the mom with little children. I have been blessed many times buy people who have shared in this way. I also like to let people know if there are sales coupons online by using apps like Retail Me Not.
5. Tip the bagger or waitress generously - where we live there are still baggers that carry out your bags that you can tip if you want to. Since many of them only make minimum wage this is a quick and easy way to bless them buy surprising them with a bigger tip than they would normally get. This also goes tipping waitresses in restaurants!
6. Do you see the bell ringer? Yes, that Salvation Army volunteer who has been standing out in the cold opening the door for you? Don't forget to donate and how about bringing them a cup of hot coffee or cocoa to keep them warm? I have seen many people do this and think it is a wonderful way to remember to help them during the holiday season. You could even gift them with a gift card or whatever else the Lord puts on your heart.
7. Pay for someone - I recently read an article about 640 people buying others drinks in a "pay it forward" effort to bless people who order behind them. They have also done this at McDonalds and other restaurants too. What a great way to spread some Christmas cheer. Or you could also give out $5 or $10 giftcards to places like Starbucks.
8. Keep your eyes peeled and be generous - many stores have places where you can donate a bag of food, toys, mittens, jackets, and money to senior citizens and children. Pray about where God would want you to help. Have your children help donate to these causes so they can learn to bless others too.
I hope this post will inspire you to share some of Christ's love and charity to others while you are out and about!
**WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU**
What ways do you bless other while you are out shopping?
You might also like:
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY OF 346,000+ HOMEBUILDERS!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.