Monday, September 10, 2007

Getting Ready For Fall




Welcome, ladies!

It is nearly that time again and fall is around the corner! It is time to prepare our homes and welcome in the new season. There is much work to be done such as:

1. Cleaning. Prepare your home to be cozy, inviting and clean and also to be a Center of Hospitality. You'll want to host several parties and experience good fellowship after church. Don't forget about having a friend over for tea. I already have someone special in mind.

2. Organizing. You can't function well, homeschool or even think about blessing others if you are tripping over things in your home or piles that you have neglected for days begin haunting you. I will once again tackle the garage before it gets too cold and have an excuse for not doing it. I have also resolved that I need a storage bin for every holiday, not just Christmas and Thanksgiving. This way when I buy things at sales through the year it doesn't end up in someones closet but now it will have a home to rest in. A friend shared with me her tip when they organize large parties---she has all her party and hospitality wares in one section in the garage where they can get to them easily, all marked, categorized by color and quantities,etc.-- instead of having them scattered through the kitchen taking up valuable space.

3. Bring wardrobes up to date. The cool weather will be soon approaching, make sure your husband and children will be nice and warm. Sneak in the last of those summer dresses, we will probably take some pictures in those beautiful dresses they won't fit in next year, that way even though we can't keep the dress we will at least have the beautiful memories.



4. Put away spring items and decor. Or cleverly work them into your fall decor. I don't like to change too many things which require too much work so I opt for the latter. I do change my bedspread, some curtains, etc. and like adding a pumpkin here and there... I especially love spiced candles!

5. Now the best part---break out the fall decor! Somehow I always want to do this first because it's fun, if you need some inspiration, visit here. I am considering displaying some framed pictures of the children in pumpkin patches that we had visited in the past. We also can't forget to pull out the throws for snuggling out on the couch...I find visitors like them too.

6. Rethink your menus. Now that that the cooler season will be moving in we can turn our thoughts and sights to hot cider, pumpkin pies and thick soups---every family has a favorite. Dig out those beloved recipes and readjust your menu mindset. Mmmmmmmm!

7. Make memories. A large part of being a great homemaker is creating lovely memories that will last. Start planning those trips to the apple orchard and hayrides. Try your hand at a new fall craft with the kiddies (this Thanksgiving we plan to make The Mayflower out of a butternut squash!)Pull out the pilgrim costumes--you might need to sew a new one--- and revel in the fact that the good Lord will be pouring out the blessings of fall upon us once again!

8. Bless them. Find out what your family favors about the season and make sure to do it---you may also be surprised by how they answer. They might just say they love the cocoa with colored marshmallows and Christmas music playing in the background (yes, I said Christmas music, it's not just for winter, you know!)

Now what are you waiting for? Get off the computer and get to it! We've got work to do!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this very basic list of getting ready for the new season, Fall is one of my favorites and I look forward to the leaves changing and the weather outside getting a lil windy and cooler. BTW: you have a very nice blog here, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea to share this list of things to do! Thank you so much for this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've been reading your blog for a while now and just love it. You have blessed me (and my family, indirectly) in many ways. I just had to post today because I have been *itching* for Autumn to arrive and I'm so glad to see others beginning to look forward to it, too! Thank you for your encouragement. -Sara Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great to be the manager of a home and plan all these wonderful things for your family? I have been on the receiving end of these blessings visiting you!
    I am always blessed by the changing of the seasons too.....Herb's grandmother who lived next door to us before she died always quoted the promise that God gave with the rainbow that as long as the earth would last the seasons would come and go--isn't that a wonderful, comforting thought!
    Loving Indiana and home,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! You inspire me to be a better wife and mother! Thank you for being used by the Lord in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall is a wonderful time of year--the colors are just so gorgeous, I want to hold on to them all year round. Thank you for the list--currently we still have some July 4th garland, along with my husband's favorite plastic trout lights hanging on our downstairs fireplace mantel--sounds lovely, doesn't it? Ha!!

    Blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! I will be linking back to it from my blog if that is ok. Fall is a favorite season for so many people, me included.

    ReplyDelete
  8. phshewww - glad I'm not the only one who starts playing Christmas music in September!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes....autumn. It's a favorite time of year for us too. We have a small orchard & will be pressing cider next month. Soup of almost any kind becomes the favorite food for the family, & if I baked bread every single day I would not get into trouble with my children!!

    I've enjoyed reading your blog, Mrs.Fuentes. And I was so happy for you when I read about the windfall at your house. Such riches!...it reminds me of the kindnesses shown to my growing children by others. Box after box of clothing, shoes, coats for all seasons. There were some years that made all the difference between having & NOT having! Our finances have relaxed somewhat in recent years, & I am happy to be able to pass on to other families the good, usable clothing that my children have outgrown.

    have a wonderful day, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fall inspiration!
    We just made apple-pear sauce yesterday, YUM! It is my younger daughter's favorite. She's begging to decorate for fall and I told her that we had to wait another week. Well, after seeing this? Is she ever in for a surprise today!
    As far as Christmas music... I think that this should be a year round thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas for preparing for fall. Today in Wisconsin it's a bit cool out and I had to dress the kids a bit warmer. You have a great blog and I have so enjoyed reading it as a mother of two young children.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if I can just keep up with cleaning, organizing and wardrobe updating for now, I'll be happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think no matter where we live we love the seasonal change. I live in SC but just having 80 degree weather with little humidity makes for beautiful fallish days. I actually made some ministrone soup and grill cheese (with apple and bacon) to celebrate.!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have really inspired me to work on this. I usually don't change anything until Christmas season and it's short lived. I can see how you can make you house more "cozy" so it feels more like the fall season.

    I am going to be going through my stiff and see what I can pull out for decore. The candles are my favorite!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This list is inspirational--and stressing me out, too! I'm so far behind already! And my family isn't ready for the season, clothing-wise either. I've been praying for some blessings like you got though!!!! :) The Bible does promise that He is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello ladies,

    It's wonderful to hear what you are doing to prepare for the season! I grew up in a home that didn't really celebrate fall so starting this in my home was new to me in the beginning and now with some practice I can do this more naturally.

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Michelle and Christine,

    I'm so glad I'm not alone with the Christmas music---after all something so good SHOULD be enjoyed throughout the year! :)

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Rhonda,

    Thanks for sharing. We love having your family over--your family has blessed us in so many unimaginable ways!

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Nannykim,

    That grilled cheese sounds delicious---What a great idea!

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Brenda (from Family Revised),

    Great hearing from you and enjoy your blog as well. Don't get stressed from this list, just pick and choose what is important to you, work on it slowly and it will all come together---it always does. Many people take week or months to do this---so don't get discouraged! Also, you can decorate slowly over time by adding something here and there. I will be praying for God's blessings on your home---from what I can see on your blog He has already blessed you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so awesome, June! You have the best ideas and you're really making me feel like a homemaking Pro! Thanks for being a Titus 2 sister- I'm not sure you're that much older, but definitely so much wiser!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment! Each and every single one of you are welcomed here with open arms. I love to hear from you so feel free to share what is on your heart.

I look forward to hearing from you!