Tuesday, October 18, 2016

3 Simple Verses for the Overwhelmed Mom

Today we have a guest post by Jaime from Like a Bubbling Brook:

verses-for-the-overwhelmed-mom


Sometimes life is so overwhelming it keeps you up at night. The racing thoughts, tension headaches, and days haunted with dread are very real symptoms of what I call stinking thinking.

It's easy to fall into overwhelm.  One unexpected turn on this road of life can beget another unexpected turn, then another, and then another.  If we're not careful, the presence of anxiety brought on by feeling overwhelmed can multiply in our mind and grow into chronic anxiety or even depression.

I've been in those dark places.  Some of them couldn't be avoided but became testimonies of God's grace at work in my life, triggered by infertility, job losses, and health issues.  He carried us through and provided new mercy every morning, just as He does for you.

But there were other worries - anxieties - that only needed some passionate prayer, a shift in my routine, and a perspective adjustment.

Here are 3 simple verses to meditate on when you feel overwhelmed:



1.  Psalm 34:4 – I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.


How can you seek the Lord?  Through worship, prayer, and Bible reading.  Focus on these key disciplines during your most overwhelming moments, and He'll show Himself strong. He'll give you wisdom about how to move past overwhelm into a place of peace.

2.  Psalm 86:15 – But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.


His compassion is for YOU.  He is gracious towards YOU.  He is not angry with you, but rather He loves you with an extravagant love and he is faithful to see you through your struggles! He wants the best for you.

3.  Philippians 4:11 – I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.


There are times I've had to resolve in my mind that I was going to be content with where I was, regardless of the circumstances around me.  I would worship despite the thorn in my side.  I would pray, "God, if it's not Your plan to change my situation, then help me be content.  If You won't change _____, then please change me."

None of us are perfect, sweet friend. We all have struggles.

Let's take some small steps to move past overwhelm and into a place of peace today! God is faithful!

What verses have you found helpful during times of overwhelm?  Leave a comment and share your favorites.  We'd love to know!


(You may also be blessed by 10 Verses for the Mom Who Feels Helpless or A Printable Prayer for the Mom with Anxiety.)

Go in grace,

signature (1)

 

 

Jaime is a pastor's wife and mom who has experienced God's extravagant grace.  You can read more from her on her site, Like a Bubbling Brook, where she shares encouragement and ideas for moms, and an occasional humorous story about this crazy roller coaster of life.













6 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I love this. I actually am doing a series on a depression, anxiety, and panic and just posted today. I can say this post really ministers and she is right on with this. These are some of my favorite scriptures.

Ana Sullivan from The Lost Apron said...

This time of being a mom to demanding little ones is so short in the span of your lifetime. It is merely a season. During these times it is easy to start complaining to our husbands. Complaining only drains you and makes everyone around you miserable.

Proverbs 21:19 (New Living Translation) says,
"It's better to live alone in the desert than with a quarrelsome, complaining wife."

Can you believe that?! Your husband is better off alone in the desert than with you if you are a complainer? How can you make the complaining stop? Read more here: http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/enjoy-the-journey.html

Melinda said...

The verse I lean on is: Psalm 30:5 ~ ...weeping endures but for a night, joy comes in the morning.

Thank you for sharing your verses! God's word is Truth.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Looking forward to checking it out, Chrissy! These are some of my favorite scriptures as well. :)

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

"Complaining only drains you and makes everyone around you miserable."

So true, Ana. Thanks for sharing!

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Yes, that is such a helpful verse, Melinda, thanks for stopping by! :)

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: