Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Old-Time Family




The Old-Time Family 



It makes me smile to hear 'em tell each other nowadays
The burdens they are bearing, with a child or two to raise.

Of course the cost of living has gone soaring to the sky
And our kids are wearing garments that my parents couldn't buy.

Now my father wasn't wealthy, but I never heard him squeal
Because eight of us were sitting at the table every meal.

People fancy they are martyrs if their children number three,
And four or five they reckon makes a large-sized family.

A dozen hungry youngsters at a table I have seen
And their daddy didn't grumble when they licked the platter clean.



 Oh, I wonder how these mothers and these fathers up-to-date
Would like the job of buying little shoes for seven or eight.

We were eight around the table in those happy days back them,
Eight that cleaned our plates of pot-pie and then passed them up again;

Eight that needed shoes and stockings, eight to wash and put to bed,
And with mighty little money in the purse, as I have said,

But with all the care we brought them, and through all the days of stress,
I never heard my father or my mother wish for less.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this poem! I come from a family of 8 and loved it. My parents sacrificed silently. Thanks for sharing.

Penney Douglas said...

I love this poem, too! I have 10 children, and both of my parents came from large families. I only have 1 brother and 1 sister and feel slightly cheated. :) I have a question: where do you get your graphics for your blog? They are so beautiful!

Housewife59 said...

I love this one too. Thank you for posting it

jane said...

What a sweet post and I especially love the picture with the girl and her dolls. I pinned this article to my "Girls and Dolls" on pinterest!

http://pinterest.com/mennonitemom/girls-and-dolls/

Anonymous said...

Hello! I love this poem and the pictures. My parents had 6 children. I love having 3 older brothers, an older sister and a younger sister. My parents both came from smaller families. My Dad had a younger brother and sister. My Mom had an older sister, a younger brother, and a younger sister. But my Mom's parents both came from bigger families. My grandma had 10 siblings and my grandpa had 9 siblings or visa versa. The same with my Dad's parents. They both had lots of siblings. We currently only have 1 son who just turned 6 years old in January. We are hoping and praying for more children.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem! I love coming from a bigger family. My parents had 6 kids. I'm happy to have 3 older brothers, an older sister, and a younger sister. We only have 1 son who just turned 6 year old in January. We are hoping and praying God will bless us with more children soon.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: