Monday, November 24, 2008

Home Destroyers Part 2





HOME DESTROYERS

Jeremiah 4:22 RSV, "For my people are foolish, they know me not; they are stupid children, they have no understanding."

Today we continue talking about things that destroy the home.

2. FOOLISHNESS

Proverbs 14:1, "Every wise woman builds her house, but the foolish plucks it down with her hands."
What does it mean to be foolish? Simply, it means to do it my way rather than God's way. God's way, although different to my way always ends in blessing. My way, although it may look good, always ends in destruction.

If we are not building our home, we are pulling it down. How do we pull it down?

We pull it down by vacating the home.

God wants the mother in the home--nurturing, nourishing and training her children. We can't do everything successfully. We either build up a business (usually someone else's business) or we build up our home. God has given us a full time job to tend our little flock. God gives a warning to the mother shepherdess when He says in Zechariah 11:17, "Woe to the worthless shepherd, who leaves the flock!" Notice that this Scripture has an exclamation mark!

We pull it down by our words.

Negative words. Critical words. Reactive words. Spiteful words. Angry words. And on it goes.

We build our home with words or we destroy our home with words!

When God allowed Satan to get at his servant Job, he smote him with terrible boils from the top of his head to the sole of his feet Job was in agony and pain. Instead of encouraging him, Job's wife said, "Do you still hold on to your integrity? Curse God, and die." Job replied, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" (Job 2:9-10)

Do you speak as one of the foolish women, or one of the wise?
Sometimes it may not be negative words. It may be wasteful words. Proverbs 15:2 says, "The mouth of fools pours forth foolishness." Often we speak unnecessary words when we should keep out mouths shut. I am always challenged by Proverbs 10:19, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." The more we blab on about anything and everything, the more opportunity there is to sin with our mouth. The NLT makes it clearer, "Don't talk too much, for it fosters sin. Be sensible and turn off the flow!"

We pull it down by spending frivolously and unwisely.
The foolish woman buys according to her whims and what takes her fancy. She buys groceries without thought for nutrition or without reading the ingredients. She fills her cupboards with devitalized packaged foods instead of cooking from scratch. She purchases unnecessary "things" to fill her home which could be used for wiser needs.

Proverbs 21:20 says, "There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man (or woman) spendeth it up." The foolish woman spends more than her husband can afford. The wise woman lives frugally within her means. I often have to remind my new adopted daughters that we don't have to eat what we want whenever we want. We must learn to live thriftily rather than extravagantly.

We pull it down by wasting.
Many women not only waste time but waste products. They throw out everything. It is not wise to be a hoarder and clutter up your home, but there are many things that can be re-used to save re-spending.
Many mothers allow their children to pick at their food and leave it on their plate without teaching them to eat what is in front of them. Good food is thrown in the trash. This is wasteful.

May God deliver us from being in the "foolish women category" that pulls down their home.

Love from NANCY CAMPBELL

PRAYER:
"Father, please touch my lips with coals from off the altar. I don't want to speak negative words. Fill my mouth with encouraging and life-giving words that will build up my husband and my children. Amen."

AFFIRMATION:
Building up my home with uplifting words,
To do anything else is utterly absurd!

(This is an email devotion from Above Rubies, if you would like to receive this email click here.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

While this is a great post, not all women who work want to. It would be great to be able to be home and focusing on family but not all have that luxury. Even worse is women who have to make the choice that they can not leave work to have a family.

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Thank you for the wonderful and informative posts about things that destroy the home. I have enjoyed following each post and look forward to the next.

Elizabeth

Mrs. Anna T said...

Another excellent post, Mrs. Fuentes. I look forward to the rest of the series.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Anonymous,

I wholeheartedly agree that if a woman has to work (for example, husband asking her to) then she should. I do believe she is probably addressing the woman who don't have to but leave the home in pursuit of other gains.

Many blessings...

Sarah Mae said...

What a wonderful post!

I am realizing so much that being in the home and therefore around my children pretty much 24/7 allows me the time and moments to actually train them consistently. So often during the day I am saying, "say please" "be gentle" "good job being kind" etc. If I wasn't here, who would be doing this? No one! I also know my kiddos inside out, and I am so thankful for that!

Emily said...

I enjoyed this post, but have to agree with anonymous. While we don't have children yet, I'm (being female) the sole bread-winner in our home. With my husband's help we keep our home a warm loving place.

Dee said...

I came across your site from a link from Rocks in My Dryer. I wanted to say thank you for posting this post. I have a unique job situation that allows me to work from home during the day and in the office in the evening a few nights a week when my husband is home. Just last night I was contemplating putting my 4 year old twins in preschool so that I might be able to work more in the office. (BTW I have 7 children, 4 in school and 3 still at home, but one of them could go to work with me.)I don't don't think my boys are ready for preschool just yet. And it's not what my heart wants to do, but what my head thinks I should do. I prayed that God would put it in black and white what I should do cause I'm dense sometimes and don't hear what he is trying to tell me. And lo and behold what do I find in black and "pink", LOL, but the answer to my prayer. I think I'll let things stand as they are and continue to work towards being a full time sahm. Thank you for your encourging words and letting God shine through your blog.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: