It is that time again and fall is almost here! It is time to prepare our homes and welcome in the new season. There is much work to be done such as:
1. Cleaning. Prepare your home to be cozy, inviting, and clean. Throw on a candle, some easy fall potpourri, or even get a fall scent going on your diffuser to make your home smell amazing while you clean. I know that some of you like to do a deep clean of your home and furniture before you decorate for fall. This is a great time to get rid of unwanted clutter and make way for the new season.
2. Organizing. Grab some storage bins and put away anything you won't need and be sure to label it so you can find it next year. Get rid of old things you don't need and start with a clean (or cleaner) slate if you can!
3. Bring wardrobes up to date. The cool weather will be soon approaching, make sure your husband and children will be nice and warm. They might need some new fall clothing like jackets, coats, boots, gloves, hats, sweaters, scarves, warm socks, etc. Don't forget to add extra bedding since the nights will be cooler.
4. Put away indoor/outdoor summer items and decor. Or cleverly work some of into your fall decor. Don't forget outdoors too, especially if you change your theme of your front porch or doorstep. YouTube has a ton of great ideas for fall.
5. Now the best part---break out the fall decor! I went with a more muted theme because the weather was warm. I went and bought all new white pumpkins, black and white gingham and light greens and blues. I didn't even break out my box of regular decor yet.
(I shared this picture earlier this week but posting again for those who might have missed it!)
But as it gets cooler I will add more oranges, reds, and browns, warm lights, and candles. I also picked up some cute fall pillows for my couch this year that I am loving. Don't forget to pull out the fall throws for snuggling out on the couch -I find visitors like them too. I am thinking I might even dig out some past pictures of the kids at the pumpkin patch to frame and display them. I love making my home cozy for the fall!
6. Change up your menus. Now that that the cooler season will be moving in we can turn our thoughts and sights to hot cider, pumpkin pies and thick soups---every family has a favorite. Dig out those beloved recipes and readjust your menu mindset. Mmmmmmmm! Here is a good list of fall recipes you might want to try.
7. Make memories. A large part of being a mom and homemaker is creating lovely memories that will last. Start planning those trips to the apple orchard and hayrides. Try your hand at a new fall craft with the kiddies and if you need inspiration be sure to check out our list of 30 Fun Fall Family Traditions and fall books to read to your children. While you are at it take time to thank the good Lord for pouring out the new blessings of fall upon us once again!
8. Bless them. Find out what your family favors about the season and make sure to do it---you may also be surprised by how they answer. They might just say they love the cocoa with colored marshmallows and Christmas music playing in the background (yes, I said Christmas music, it's not just for winter, you know!)
What else would you add?
Please share in the comments below!