Saturday, July 21, 2018

What I Am Reading this Summer

I chose this summer to really get a ton of reading in! So far it has been going good, I started out really strong in the beginning and plan to finish strong too since I just bought a few books that I am excited about digging into.



This summer has been a blur--so much to do and so much life to live! I can't wait to share much of it with you in future posts, I have a ton of pics that I want to share. It is a miracle that I even got any reading in in the first place.

This summer one of the books I have been sifting and pondering through the wisdom of the Puritans in The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotionals. You might have heard of the well-loved classic.







Here is an excerpt from a page concerning sins:


MERCIFUL LORD,

Pardon all my sins of this day, week, year, 
all the sins of my life,
sins of early middle, and advanced years,

of omission and commission,
of morose, peevish and angry tempers,
of life, life and walk,
of hard heartedness. unbelief, presumption, pride,

of unfaithfulness to the souls of men, 
of want of bold decision in the cause of Christ,
of deficiency in outspoken zeal for His glory, 
of bringing dishonour upon they great name,

of deception, injustice, untruthfulness
in my dealings with others,
of impurity in thought, word and deed,
of covetousness, which is idolatry,

of substance unduly hoarded, improvidently squandered,
not consecrated to the glory of thee, the great Giver;

sins in private and in the family, 
in study and recreation, in the busy haunts of men,
in the study of the Word and in the neglect of it,
in prayer irreverently offered and coldly withheld,

in time mispent, 
in yielding to Satan's wiles,
in opening my heart to his temptations,
in being unwatchful when I know Him nigh,

in quenching His Holy Spirit;
sins against light and knowledge, 
against conscience and the restraints of thy Spirit,
against the law of eternal love. 

Pardon all my sins, known and unknown. 
felt and unfelt,
confessed and not confessed,
remembered or forgotten. 

Good Lord, hear;
and hearing, forgive. 



This book is definitely an iron-sharpens-iron type of book and not watered-down or fluffy. It makes you truly stop and want to examine your life more closely. It is not one of those books you will want to rush through--but instead one you will want to pause and reflect to gain much insight from it. I highly recommend it if you have not read it yet!


If this books interests you, you can find it in leather bound HERE or the paperback HERE. If you get it, I hope it is a blessing to you and that you will open it often to be encouraged.



What have *you* been reading this summer?

I'd love to hear what you have been reading!







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have finished a ten series (Children's books) "The Adventures Of The Northwoods"and almost finished with "Lies and Legends" The Civil War . Started "Narnia"
Marion

Anonymous said...

I just finished "Galway Bay" by Mary Pat Kelly. It is about the struggle of the Irish to survive under English rule in Ireland. Many eventually come to America.It 500 plus pages so it took me quite a while to finish. I am now going to start the seven part series "The Chronicles of Narnia". Thank You for your suggestions and happy reading.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I just finished two books in a series of "The Duke Series. I am now reading "The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill". Enjoy your books.
Joan

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Marion,

Thanks for sharing--sounds interesting!

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Marilyn,

Five hundred pages is pretty long--sounds like you are enjoying your reading time this summer!

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Joan,

I have not heard of those but interested in looking into them--thanks!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: