Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Domestic Artist: Homemade Bread Recipe


Our dear contributor, Miss Jen, who writes for our Domestic Artist category, just got a new blog design makeover--hope on over and visit to take a peek:


And today she is sharing her favorite Homemade Bread recipe:



 
Homemade Bread


“Good bread is the most fundamentally
satisfying of all foods.....”

~James Beard

This is my favorite homemade bread.... ever since having
it when I was a wee one at my dear friends the Swanson's
home, I have been a big fan. Mrs.Swanson usually
has some loaves in the oven and all who partake
of her delicious bread are very satisfied, indeed!!!
Last year Mrs. Swanson graciously gave
me a long awaited "bread lesson"
as well as her wonderful recipe to go along with it.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do...

Is there anything so wonderful as fresh
bread baking in the oven?!
The aroma in my opinion is simply marvelous!!

 
The Happy Bread Maker....

Awww....

"Is there any felicity in the world superior to this?"
~ Sense and Sensibility


The recipe...

Mrs.Swanson's

Homemade Bread
3 1/2 cups Warm Liquid~
Such as any of these...
Milk, Cooked Pureed Squash,
Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Sour Cream,
Cottage Cheese or Water etc... Be creative :)*I normally like to do about half milk and
half cooked pureed white squash.*
The liquid should be warm to the wrist but
not hot... about 110 degrees or so.

1 Tablespoon Yeast
1 Tablespoon~
Sugar, Honey or Molasses

4 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Salt
About 8 cups~ Flour

~Egg Wash~
1 egg + 1 T. water
Beat together... until smooth

In a kitchen aid mixer bowl...
combine 3 1/2 cups warm liquid, and 1 T. yeast.
swiftly combine and set aside covered with
towel for about 3-5 minutes... till it is
frothy, and about doubled.
Meanwhile in a separate bowl...
combine~ Sugar, Oil & Salt
Combine into the liquid yeast mixture.
Then with your dough hook attached
slowly pour in your flour and let dough hook
kneed for about 3-4 minutes until...
the dough is soft &
has elasticity.

Pour dough into a greased bowl and let rise
in a warm place for about
1-2 hours till doubled.
( I normally turn my oven on to the lowest temp....

then turn it off, then place the bread
bowl with dough in the warm oven to rise)

Punch dough down with fist to deflate air...
Divided dough in half and shape into
2 braided loaves or simply place in 2 greased
loaf pans...cover with cloth and let rise
till the dough is doubled.

Lightly and gently brush egg wash on bread
and sprinkle with rolled oats
or poppy seeds if desired.
Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for
approximately~ 55-60 minutes.
Enjoy!!!

A Fresh Loaf...

“Good bread is the great need in poor homes, and
oftentimes the best appreciated
luxury in the homes of the very rich.”

~A Book for A Cook

Hope you all are having a most Lovely,
Pleasant and Blessed Week!!!
Many Blessings!!


"For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands:
happy
shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee."
-Psalm 128:2










Having just turned 21, Jen finds great joy in serving her family from home. She firmly believes that the home is a beautiful canvas for biblical hospitality, servanthood and discipleship.  All aspects of homemaking are on her list of interests including gourmet cooking, baking, calligraphy, sewing and embroidery. She is also inspired by photography, music, theology and biblical womanhood. Miss Jen blogs at Blessed Femina, which she founded in the fall of 2008 to document her blessed life as a daughter/homemaker-in- training and to encourage other women in Biblical femininity. Happily residing in sunny northern California with her parents, it is her greatest desire to live a life depicted in I Corinthians 10:31: “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”






















Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox or RSS feed! Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a yummy looking recipe! Any idea if you could manipulate this to go into a bread machine? Thank you!

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Anon,

I am not sure, let me see if I can get Miss Jen to comment on this!

Many blessings...

Unknown said...

Hi there! I love your blog and wanted to share some "blog love"! I too am in the beginning of my blog for virtuopus women and am brand new to the blogging world. Good luck and I look forward to more of your posts!!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I'm going to half this recipe to try in my breadmaker (on the dough cycle and then bake in the oven after rising) as the quantities are too large for most bread machines. I like the idea of pureed sweet potato but wonder if it will make the bread too moist/dense Will let you know how it turns out!

Mrs. E said...

Hello Anonymous, I've never tried this recipe in a bread machine before {since I mostly use my oven for yeast breads & such...} Here's a link that might prove to be helpful~ http://www.breadworld.com/fleischmanns_converting_traditional_recipes_to_bread_machine.aspx Happy Bread Making!! ♥ Many Blessings~ Miss Jen

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I did as promised and tried this recipe in my bread machine last evening! I halved the quantities and used pureed orange sweet potato and milk in a 50/50 ratio for the liquid. I used 3 cups of white flour to 1 cup of wholewheat flour. I used the dough cycle which takes about 2 1/2 hours and shaped it into a vienna loaf. It didn't take long to rise and I baked it in my oven. It turned out beautifully - a huge golden loaf thanks to the sweet potato. It was delicious and was devoured. No leftovers for today! Thank you Miss Jen for sharing this recipe. I will be adding it into our family recipe journal.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: