Summer is a wonderful time to get together in lovely weather and catch up with some close friends...
What a great reason to throw a Summer Tea Party!
It can be large or intimate--- you pick what would work best for you....
How to Throw a Summer Tea Party:
1. Make invitations and invite all your friends. A summer tea party calls for light attire and perhaps a sun hat (tell everyone to bring one and you will draw a prize to a winner). These days you could even create a Facebook fanpage and have all the ladies confirm there.
2. Create a menu--make it something light without heavy sauces that might spoil in the sun. Cheese, crackers, nuts, fruits and salads, cookies, tarts, scones, and teacakes are good. Here is a sample menu. You will want to make iced tea instead of hot tea and also have some extra chilled drinks on the side such as water, juice, pop, etc. Have fun with your drinks and add frozen fruit to it to use as ice cubes (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapple chunks, are good for this. Use lemon slices and mint from the garden for garnish.
3. Prepare your party area. Try to set up your table in a cool spot under a tree or use a canopy for shade. Clean all lawn furniture and make sure the yard is clean of debris. Prepare the tableware--it's okay to use mismatched cups and plates, it adds to the charm. Also, consider laying out blankets on the lawn to make a restful conversation spot to gaze at stars.
4. Decorate simply and beautifully. If you have potted flowers you can bring them near the party table area and use garden cuttings for the centerpiece. You might also need citronella candles-- be sure to find some pretty ones.
(Images from Country Living)
5. Don't forget music! You could play some light classical music in the background or have a friend's daughter or son play a soft instrument. My daughter did that once at a friend's tea party, she played her violin as everyone walked in and it really adds a special touch.
6. Bring on the tea party games! There are so many---do a Google search and find your favorite.
Have fun celebrating and enjoy yourself!