Thursday, October 21, 2021

How to Heal From Toxic Relationships



Are you struggling with a toxic relationship?

It might be a mother...

Or a father...

Or a relative...

Or a spouse...

Or an adult child...

Or someone you are dating...

Or just someone you know.

And you need healing from it. You know that it is not healthy and you are wanting to take steps to healing. 

Here are a few action steps you will find helpful:

1. Trust God to heal you - when you are feeling broken and hurt, you need to know and trust that God will heal you. There is nothing that he cannot heal. He loves you,  you can trust Him, and you can go to him for refuge. He can take the most broken and shattered heart and put it back together to make it stronger than it was before.

2. Seek godly counsel - someone you trust and can talk to that you know will give you godly advice such as a pastor, biblical counselor, or godly friend regarding this toxic relationship. 

3. Distance - you might need to set boundaries and distance yourself from relationships that are harmful to you. Emotional abuse is damaging. Physical, and sexual abuse are signs that you need to protect yourself and get help. 

4. Forgiveness - be prepared to forgive, even when it is hard and you feel the other party might not deserve it. In the end, the forgiveness glorifies God by obeying His command to forgive and brings healing to you. Here is a great article we shared on forgiveness if you need encouragement in that area. 

5. Pray - ask God for wisdom concerning this person and for wisdom and guidance on how to handle them in the future. Pray also for that person, that they would turn from their sinful ways. 

6. Immerse yourself in God's Word - keep your mind on things above, grow closer to God during this difficult time, and know that He is with you and will never leave you or forsake you. He will give you strength!


Here are a few encouraging verses on healing:


Jeremiah 17:14 


Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise.


Isaiah 41:10 


Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.



Psalm 147:3


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.


Proverbs 3:5-8 


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.


Matthew 11:28 


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.





A prayer for you:


Dear God, please heal the person who is reading this and needs help and healing from their toxic relationship. Give them wisdom on how to move forward and courage to do what they know needs to be done. Help them to trust You fully and have a new beginning with you as they move forward and take steps to help themselves. Please protect them and watch over them. Thank you for being a loving God and one that cares for each and every single one of us. You are good and mighty, help us to walk in Your truth and obey you. We thank you for what you are already doing in our lives and what you are going to do.  We pray this in Jesus' holy name. Amen.





Sweet friend, do you know the Lord and if you are going to heaven? Please read this to be sure.

If you need help learning God's Word be sure to find a good Bible.

We'd also love for you to join our Titus 2 group!








1 comment:

Cate Nunan said...

Thank you so much for this. I am in the middle of navigating a difficult relationship with my sister and I have forgiven her for her betrayal but I still so hurt and shattered by the circumstances. I asked God this morning to help me and heal me and then went looking for an encouraging Christian blog. I found you! I appreciate your post, the prayer you wrote and the scripture too. Blessings, Cate

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: