Monday, December 23, 2019

Grammy's Hungarian Kifli Cookie Recipe



Did you know that I am part Hungarian?

I had a great grandmother who only spoke Hungarian that I adored and a grandmother who would make these amazing Kifli cookies and send them to me as me and my family traveled all over the world!


They would arrive in a beautifully packaged Christmas tin and wrapped in tissue paper with layers of amazing goodness. After my grandmother passed away my aunt and her daughters carried on the tradition of making them and would send them to us.

Folks, can I just say it wasn't Christmas until we had these scrumptious treats? They are definitely worth your time and effort. My kids always devour these when they arrive in the mail.



I wanted to share the recipe here with you! Here it is~






HUNGARIAN KIFLI RECIPE:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • FILLING:
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3-1/2 cups ground walnuts
  • Confectioners' sugar

Directions

  • 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until blended. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
  • 2. Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on medium after each addition until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
  • 3. Generously coat a work surface with confectioners' sugar. Roll one portion of dough into a 12-in. square about 1/8 in. thick, sprinkling with additional confectioners' sugar as necessary to coat well. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares.
  • 4. Shape 2 teaspoons filling into a small log about 2 in. long. Place diagonally onto a square. Overlap opposite corners of dough over filling; pinch tightly to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
  • 5. Bake until bottoms are golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
  • 6. To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator. 
  • 7. Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. If desired, dust with additional confectioners' sugar.


You can also fill these with jelly too (apricot is a favorite)--but the best is the walnut so try that first!


Tools you could use and are optional:

Pastry cutter wheel
wax paper 
Christmas tins (to store cookies in)
mixer
bowl scraper





I hope you enjoy my favorite cookies!






You might also be interested in the following:

11 CHRISTMAS MOVIES THAT WILL BLESS YOUR FAMILY






CHECK OUT OUR ULTIMATE CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE!





*Recipe & image from Taste of Home. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the only authentic recipe from the old country I have found on the internet that has not been corrupted in any way. I get 80-90 kifli from a single batch, making the balls the size of a marble. Thank you so much.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for your kind words!I read your comment to my husband and children, as we take Grammy's Kifli's very seriously in this household. It's literally not even Christmas without them. I cherish the memories I had with her greatly.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: