Friday, November 7, 2014

My Favorite Quotes from Spurgeon





If you have read my blog for a while you know that I am a great lover of quotes, as is my oldest daughter.  I also enjoy books of old and love gleaning from them. So today I am sharing a few of my favorite inspirational quotes from Charles Spurgeon--better known as the Prince of Preachers to bless you.







 Here they are:


"Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of."

 "No one is so miserable as the poor person who maintains the appearance of wealth."

 "You know more about your magazines and novels than what God has written; many of you will read a novel from the beginning to the end, and what have you got? A mouthful of foam when you are done. But you cannot read the Bible; that solid, lasting, substantial, and satisfying food goes uneaten, locked up in the cupboard of neglect; while anything that a man writes, a best seller of the day, is greedily devoured."


 "Of two evils, choose neither."

 "The Lord gets his best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction."

 "The motto of all true servants of God must be, 'We preach Christ; and him crucified.' A sermon without Christ in it is like a loaf of bread without any flour in it. No Christ in your sermon, sir? Then go home, and never preach again until you have something worth preaching."

" Beware of no man more than of yourself; we carry our worst enemies within us."


" The wishing gate opens into nothing."


 'Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength."


" No one knows who is listening, say nothing you would not wish put in the newspapers."

 "We are all at times unconscious prophets."

 "You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, and training them up in God's fear, and minding the house, and making your household a church for God, as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts."



A good quote to reflect on can bring conviction,  much food for thought, and and a thirst for holiness and God. They can also challenge you and help you to look at the Scriptures in a deeper way.





 What is your favorite quote?














2 comments:

Aritha said...

Great post! Thank you. My favorite quote is from John Owen:



"The greatest sorrow and burden you can lay on the Father, the greatest unkindness you can do to Him is not to believe that He loves you."

This quote changes my heart!

I now follow you. Your site is so beautiful!

Emma Joy said...

Thanks so much for these quotes. A few Christian preachers/thinkers from way back that I adore are Richard Baxter, John Owen, Thomas Watson, and J. C. Ryle. Incredible!

Please check out my blog which has articles, sermon notes, etc. on different topics like: "Purity", "The Importance of Family", "Self Esteem", "Quotes", "Marriage", "Words We Speak", and "Trials and Hardship": http://www.babypinkroses.blogspot.com

One of my favorite quotes by John Owen is, "On Christ’s glory I would fix all my thoughts and desires, and the more I see of the glory of Christ, the more the painted beauties of this world will wither in my eyes and I will be more and more crucified to this world. It will become to me like something dead and putrid, impossible for me to enjoy."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: