Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homemade Recipe: Baked Kale Chips


You might remember earlier this year, my husband went on a juice fast for 60 days and lived to tell about it. Well, I wanted to be a supportive wife and grow some kale in our garden for him since that was one of the key ingredients in his juicing and so that he would always have it available whenever our farmers market was out.

We grew a lot, and I didn't know what to do with it. I had never grown up eating kale (kale? what's that?) so I didn't have any experience with it there. Steve liked to go to the garden and eat it raw and so did my kids and the neighborhood kids. I was glad to know they were enjoying this superfood right in our backyard, but what to do with the rest?


 (some kale from my garden)

Now I've found the answer! Super easy and the kids love it---baked kale chips. Sounds strange, right? Don't knock it until you try it! I whipped up a batch and they gobbled that up in a flash so they requested that I make another batch. That was gone instantly too.

I think we found a winner.

Here is the recipe. Just three ingredients and so simple!

Baked Kale Chips

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. 
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes. 

I was told you could also use water in this recipe instead of oil and use different toppings such as garlic powder, crushed almonds, etc. Experiment with cooking time and how much oil you use, it can make all the difference.

I also found this link to make kale 10 different healthy ways. You can throw it in soup, spaghetti, casseroles, and a whole bunch of other ways.



Do you have a special recipe for kale that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!


















Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox. Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.

10 comments:

KM Logan said...

I'm glad your kale chips turned out well, I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and it went horribly wrong, I think i needed more oil.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

KM Logan,

I am sorry to hear that! I think the first time I may have put too much oil (for my taste, my kids and husband loved it though) on so I cut way back on the second batch. It still was good. One reader shared on my FB wall that she didn't even use oil and just used water. I was wondering how that would taste...

Many blessings...

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Hi June! We LOVE Kale! It's a Dutch person's staple. :-) Here's how we eat it, (and how my Mom ate it, and my Oma, and my great-Oma...)the traditional Dutch way. It's one of my favorite dinners - nice and easy too! :-)

http://www.growinghomeblog.com/2010/12/boerenkool-met-worst.html

Treasures from a shoebox said...

We recently discovered this recipe as well and LOVE it! No more potato chips in my house :) I was amazed that my children actually ate them. Who knew eating healthy could actually taste so good?! ;0

Lady Dragon said...

I just wanted to add, we grow TONS of kale here, we use it in soups, stews, salads, sandwiches. If you use garlic salt instead of regular salt, and parmesan cheese, they are super yummy that way. Also a lot of recipes show that you should bake them at a low temp. I have found that to ruin the kale. I bake it at 400* for a few minutes on one side, then flip them over and do a few minutes on that side. They turn out amazingly every time. And believe me I have had my share of really bad kale chips!

Little Oak Table said...

sounds pretty good!

Living Real For Life said...

I LOVE Kale! We grew it in our garden for the first time this year too.
I chop it up and do a quick saute in a skillet w/onions, garlic, whatever herbs I have in the house, a little salt and pepper!
I've added it to soups too. just chop it up and toss it in!

Anonymous said...

nice post thanks for sharing i found you thrue other follower..looking for to visit more...blessings

Jessica White said...

We love kale. Sometimes I saute it in coconut oil with some onions, then put some cheese on and melt it. Yum!

Crystal said...

I have never tried Kale chips, but I think I need too! I do love kale though! We've had it in soups and spaghetti casserole. One of my favorite recipes for kale though is in a breakfast casserole! It's a great way to get your greens in at breakfast!

http://mommytoluke2.blogspot.com/2011/05/red-russian-kale-onion-breakfast.html

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: