Monday, June 20, 2011

A Woman of Discretion



Are we training ourselves to be women of discretion?

Women today would be wise to use their speech well. Careful before they say anything, prayerful before giving counsel or a rebuke, with the Lord leading every step of  the way.

Titus 2:5 exhorts: :

"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

The word discreet comes from the greek word: sóphrón

Here is the definition: 

of sound mind, self-controlled, temperate, sober-minded, modest, chaste

We are warned against idleness and being busybodies, and why--because there is a struggle. We need to embrace a quiet life without busying ourselves with meddling, gossip, and vain pursuits (1 Thess 4:11).  Older woman must teach the younger, to be wise in situations. There should not be a judging of situations lest we know all the facts. Self control must rule us, we must gain hold of it, our tongues and our sinful flesh.


What does God uphold and view as beautiful?

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Proverbs 31:10

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 1 Peter 3:4


The tongue:

And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water? Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh. James 3:6


A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness. Proverbs 16:21

Oh my, I know we all fail at times, and sometimes miserably--there is not a single one of us that is perfect! We would not need Jesus if we were perfect. I think in many cases, we need to humble ourselves and our speech will follow. How often I have looked back in different situations and thought at how humility needed to be a vital part of the equation.


 And we chase after wisdom:

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.  -Proverbs 4:7

How much better to get wisdom than gold! To get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver. -Proverbs 16:16



It is my prayer that we start this week NEW,
recommitting ourselves to CHRIST,
and striving to become a vessel that God can fully use for His KINGDOM.







**********************************

Are you encouraged and challenged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox or follow by RSS feed! Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.
We are linked today at Far Above Rubies. 

13 comments:

Mrs. A said...

HI! I really needed to read this this morning... The Lord knows where to put things where He knows I'll be sure to look!

Thank you for posting this!

Maiden Princess said...

Wow! This was amazing! The Lord used your blog to speak to me once again. I have also been pondering modesty and discretion and meekness. Thank you for posting the Lord has laid on your heart, it was such an encouragment and challenge to me.

Living in the glow of His Love,
Maiden Princess

Jessica Kramasz said...

Wonderful words of wisdom - thank you for exhorting us this morning.

Amy said...

In a society that makes it so easy to be indiscreet, sometimes I think that this is one of the more difficult qualities to cultivate. Even in Titus 2 mentoring, I think more emphasis goes into submission and homekeeping than into that one little word - discretion. I know it's one that I constantly need to work on, and the encouragement here is helpful. I hope you have a blessed week!

Amy
http://makingajoyfulhome.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

How encouraging! Thanks so much for sharing.

Amy said...

Fantastic post! I really needed this today, as well.

A Heritage From The Lord said...

This is exactly what I needed:) Thank you and may the Lord continue to use you.. Jackie ~ A Heritage From The Lord

Amber Noella said...

I love this post. I want to strive for this, too!

Gail @ The Imperfect Housewife said...

Thank you for this Miss June! I have been reminded often that my words will build up or destroy. I've been trying to teach my kids the old "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," and I'm realizing how much I need to be saying that to myself as well! Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us!

Amy said...

I have been trying to practice the scripture that says, "Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." It is a challenge to think twice about what comes out of my mouth. But I realize how easily my words influence my own mind as well as others.

Tammi said...

Excellent post. Something to really take to heart and really soak in and apply.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

I also enjoyed this link:

http://homeliving.blogspot.com/2011/06/strength-and-dignity.html

Great food for thought regarding dignified speech and communication for Christian women!

Many blessings...

student daughter of The King said...

what a beautiful blog! i have only just come across this blog. I live in Sydney Australia. What an inspiration to believing women all over the globe! Thank you so much for your beautiful blog!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: