I ran across this list and thought I'd share:
List of False Saviors/Refuges
1. Unbiblical view of God ("genie in a bottle obligated to grant your wishes.")
2. Sex (immorality, pornography, masturbation).
8. Withdrawing, running away.
9. Clinging to people for comfort.
10. Shopping sprees.
14. Ministry as an escape.
15. Being busy at church or volunteer activities.
As Christian woman it is mandatory that we always subject ourselves to self-examination.
"Would it turn out well if he examined you? Could you deceive Him as you might deceive men?" Job 13:9
If we are indulging ourselves in false saviors or refuges we need to repent and repent quickly. There should be only one savior and refuge that we run to and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. True hope and life is found only in Him. The quicker we examine ourselves and turn away and abolish the idols we have erected in His place--the quicker we can enjoy the authentic life Christ meant for us to experience that is overflowing with renewal, restoration, healing, reconciliation and sincere joy.
(list by Martha Peace, The Excellent Wife)
(Artwork by Paul Delongpre)