Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Lover, My Friend




Yesterday was Valentines Day as you all know. I set about the day thinking about how I could honor, love and respect my husband on this special day. I also thought about all the things that I could do and should do but just had not gotten to just yet. Why do we pick just one day out of the year to show our love, why not everyday? 

 What if we had the attitude of the Shulamite woman in Song of Songs as she sings praises to her love: "Kiss me again and again, for your love is sweeter than wine. How fragrant your cologne, and how pleasing your name! No wonder all the young women love you! Take me with you. Come, let's run! Bring me into your bedroom, O my King." 

 Now when was the last time you said that to your spouse??? I know that Song of Songs reads like a beautiful fairytale---why not make this fairytale be true in our marriages? The Shulamite woman has a lot to teach us about how we love our husbands and what kind of thoughts we should be thinking in our hearts to pour out lavishly onto our dear husbands. 

Here is another example: "My lover is radiant and ruddy, outstanding among ten thousand. His head is purest gold; his hair is wavy and black as a raven. His eyes are like doves by the water streams, washed in milk, mounted like jewels. His cheeks are like beds of spice yielding perfume. 

His lips are like lilies dripping with myrrh. His arms are rods of gold set with chrysolite. His body is like polished ivory decorated with sapphires. His legs are pillars of marble set on bases of pure gold. His appearance is like Lebanon, choice as its cedars. His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my lover, this my friend..." 

 Dear wives, as you go about your day are these the thoughts that transcend your minds regarding the husband the Lord has given you? If these were the thoughts we were actually dwelling on, it would be awfully hard to be stressed and angry at him when he arrived home. It would be hard to not desire him when he arrived and it would be hard to disrespect him at a moments notice. This is what the Shulamite woman knew....this is what she practiced. 

 Let's learn from her example and declare our love for him to the world... "Come away, my lover, and be like a gazelle or like a young stag on the spice-laden mountains..."


No comments:

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: