Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Comfort and Pleasure


America is the land of wealth, plentitude and prosperity. We have been blessed by our forefathers who have sacrificed and lived out godly lives before us for they had paved the way.

Today we have our big homes, multiple automobiles, cushy furniture, entertainment galore at our fingertips----what does this make a Christian?

We are too comfortable. Sinfully comfortable.

In the legendary classic The Foxes Book of Martyrs, Christians gave their lives on behalf of the cross. They were thrown alive into boiling oil--they were bound in bags of scorpions and poisonous snakes and thrown into the sea. There were people who's stomach were cut open and corn was thrown onto their intestines and while they were still alive pigs would eat the corn right out of their bodies.

And we have trouble just calling a Christian friend and encouraging them.

We have trouble even remembering to pray for someone let alone reaching our lost neighbor for Christ. (How many times have people come to you and said 'thanks for praying for me' when you know full well that it totally escaped you?)

We are too engrossed in our 'toys' (computers, playstation's, tv, etc.) passions and pastimes to make any kind of dent on Satan's kingdom. In fact, I'm sure Satan is quite ecstatic that we are so distracted.

We don't like to do things that make us feel 'uncomfortable'. If it is too much effort, it is not worth the work. We complain about our churches because they are not meeting our needs. We gossip about and judge our Christian brethren because we have too much idle time. We spend our days in glorious abundance and indulgent complacency. We are consumed with being like and impressing the Jones'. Our happiness lies in our luxurious conveniences and they rule our lives. Our fulfillment is not seeing lost souls gain salvation but instead, we are motivated in increasing our surrounding creature comforts.

It is just too much trouble to move out of our comfort zones and truth be known, we actually like it here. Here we can enjoy our lukewarm Christianity. You know, the type of faith that Jesus spits out of His mouth:

"So because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." Revelation 3:16

Besides, we have our splendid toys to tend to. Why should we bother with anything else?

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. Powerful post. I will be thinking this one over all day, I can tell.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

I surely was convicted several times after reading this as well. I hope to make many more changes in my life...!

Dawn said...

Americans are just spoiled...we truely are. It's no wonder why those men and women want to come across the border from Mexico and into the US or why people float on rafts for days from Cuba or somewhere just to try to better themselves.
We have so much 'stuff' and still aren't happy. I have noticed that about people. All of this stuff we accumulate here on earth will eaither break, rust, fall apart, fade. We can't take any of it with us when we die. I am not saying it's wrong to have a few nice things, but instead of spending our money on a new handbag or pair of shoes, we should use it to support a needy family in our area.

Yes, Satan surely knows how to get our minds away from God. I know I have been the culprit one too many times. But by God's grace I am getting much stronger in my walk with Him and satan is having a harder time trying to turn my eyes away. :)

In this day and age it's so much easier to send encouragement especially thru e-mail. Or send an e-card. It doesn't cost anything, but it sure can brighten someone's day!

I do like recieveing snail mail though...makes me feel even more loved.

Good post! Makes me want to do some changes in my own life. :)

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Dawn, I agree with you when you state "we have so much 'stuff' and still aren't happy"---that sounds like a great topic for a new post! K.P. Yohannan wrote a great book about this called 'Revolution in World Missions'. It was eye-opening to see how wealthy we are as a nation and how we've become like gluttons and how poorly we do in reaching the lost. A great read, I highly recommend it!

Shosannah said...

Wow.
Now this made me sit up in my seat!
Bless you for speaking the truth so loud and clear.We all need to hear it.
Blessings and peace

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this powerful post! I really needed this message right now.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

We'd Love for You to Stay in Touch!

Join our Wise Woman Builds Titus 2 FB Group! Just click the banner below: