Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Raising Sons: No Heroes Allowed?

I recently stumbled across the story about a heroic 13 year old boy who stopped another boy who had a knife in school wanting to use it against a classmate. In turn, he was reprimanded for his actions.

"Ms. O’Donnell was politely informed the school did not “condone heroics,” she said. Instead, Briar should have found a teacher to handle the situation.“I asked: ‘In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid’s throat have been slit?’ She said yes, but that’s beside the point. That we ‘don’t condone heroics in this school.’ 

Instead of getting a pat on the back for his bravery, Briar was made to feel as if he had done something terribly wrong. The police were called, the teen filed a statement and his locker was searched.” 


Read the full story HERE.


Watch his video interview of him and his mother:

 

His mother also stated this:

"Isn't that horrible?" O'Donnell said, "We've taught him to do the right thing and to step in — in our family we teach our children that they need to stand up for others and not run from danger out of self-preservation."

The incident made the front page of the Calgary Sun. O'Donnell bought multiple copies, beaming with pride that her son stepped in to protect someone in need rather than turning a blind eye and sitting quietly."When did we decide as a society to allow our children to grow up without spines? Without a decent sense of the difference between right and wrong?"

Here are my thoughts on the topic:

 I understand there might be a time to use discretion and calling for authorities is wiser but I think there is also DEFINITELY a time to do the right thing especially as men (or as sons growing up to become men) if it within their power to do so. God has put into many men a protective instinct that is part of their being and that they will act on that--for that I am grateful. We see that all the time, as stated in the video interview, with policemen, firefighters, and soldiers.

Courage, nobility, bravery and heroism does not have to be a thing of the past. In fact, I greatly desire to raise sons who have these qualities. 

I also know that if it were my son that the knife was being pulled on I would have been grateful for anyone who had the courage enough to stop it. Wouldn't you?



What are your thoughts:  Do you think this boy should have intervened or not or do you think that we as a culture are pressuring boys/men not to intervene and to merely be onlookers?














Encouraged here?

Please also check out my book True Christian Motherhood.

5 comments:

Huskerbabe said...

What a wicked world we live in when a boy is not encouraged to do the right thing. I'm so glad to see that he had the support of his mother.

Amy said...

I think it's crazy that he got in trouble, and if it were my son, I'd be thrilled to pieces that he was brave enough to help another, especially at his own personal risk. "to lay down one's life for a friend ...."

Lady Dorothy said...

This story is bewildering on so many levels. One of which is that the teacher was in the room, but did not know a student was being held in a headlock? Shaking my head.

Kudos to Briar and his mother. Good job, both of you!

Leah Rose said...

You said it June: "I also know that if it were my son that the knife was being pulled on I would have been grateful for anyone who had the courage enough to stop it. Wouldn't you?"

I think the mom has a lot of courage too. I have heard moms teach their children very opposite lessons out of a fear of anything happening to them- even to the point of getting angry and yelling at them.

This crushes a child's spirit.

MissMarie (SilverWing) said...

Wow. Why would anyone or any school discourage "heroics"? What is wrong with being a hero and stepping up for and in defense of people? Why would anyone want to raise a coward who can only stand & watch or run to "get help"?
I'm personally quite proud of this boy, even if his school doesn't have enough sense to be proud of him. He did the right thing even if the school doesn't think so, his parents are raising a fine boy :) Hopefully more boys (and men) will be this brave! ^-^