Friday, June 11, 2010

The Victorian Tea

Over the years I have loved going to tea parties and hosting them. Once again I feel the urge to invite some ladies over for tea to share our hearts and encourage one another. There is nothing like good friends getting together and making memories~which is something I feel is so fascinating and lovely about having tea.




There are different kinds of tea. There is a high tea and a low or afternoon tea. Do you know the difference?

High Tea is often a misnomer. Most people refer to afternoon tea as high tea because they think it sounds regal and lofty, when in all actuality, high tea, or "meat tea" is dinner. High tea, in Britain, at any rate, tends to be on the heavier side. American hotels and tea rooms, on the other hand, continue to misunderstand and offer tidbits of fancy pastries and cakes on delicate china when they offer a "high tea."

Afternoon tea (because it was usually taken in the late afternoon) is also called "low tea" because it was usually taken in a sitting room or withdrawing room where low tables (like a coffee table) were placed near sofas or chairs generally in a large withdrawing room. There are three basic types of Afternoon, or Low Tea:

Cream Tea - Tea, scones, jam and cream

Light Tea - Tea, scones and sweets

Full Tea - Tea, savories, scones, sweets and dessert

In England, the traditional time for tea was four or five o'clock and no one stayed after seven o'clock. Most tea rooms today serve tea from three to five o'clock. The menu has also changed from tea, bread, butter and cakes, to include three particular courses served specifically in this order:

Savories - Tiny sandwiches or appetizers

Scones - Served with jam and Devonshire or clotted cream

Pastries - Cakes, cookies, shortbread and sweets



Now that you know the difference,
take a peek at this Whimsical Garden Tea!

(Don't you love the chandelier?)



The crisp and fruitful Summer Tea

and gather your lovely little daughters for...




The Enchanting Butterfly Fairy Tea

(A memory I am sure this daughter will never forget!)




The elegant and favorite Doll Tea

(The Life of Faith Dolls, Christian with books that are Christ centered)

Whatever tea you choose, it can be as simple or as elegant and full of pomp as you would like!
I think my next one will be on the simple and relaxing side.



Lady Lydia's (Homeliving) daughter, Lillibeth, at The Pleasant Times has a few nice posts on tea:

Tea Times

Spring Tea

If you didn't already know, Stacy McDonald is hosting a tea you won't want to miss:

Reformation Ladies Tea 2010

and Jasmine Baucham, Stacy and Sandy Grutzius will be the speakers.
While you are there check out the tables, they all have beautiful creative themes.

What a great idea!



If you would like to view some of my past tea parties that I have held for my daughters, you can click below:

The Princess Tea Party

The Christmas Doll Tea Party




A favorite quote about tea:

I always fear that Creation will expire before teatime.

~Sydney Smith








***************


Looking for a beautiful heirloom set for your daughter or granddaughter?


Look no further---the perfect set is HERE!

What a treasure to use for special occasions or even pack away in their hopechests....






10 comments:

  1. Tea sounds so wonderful! I am inspired to host a tea party for my Bible study ladies.
    I did not know about those dolls of Faith! I have an American doll and I figured if I ever had a daughter I would get her one of those, but now I am going to look at the dolls of faith!
    That garden tea picture is so beautiful! Makes me wish I had a beautiful garden like that one to host one in. :)
    Lovely, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has just made me so hungry! totally beautiful photos.
    Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,

    I put the link in the post so you could find their website. There are more pictures you could view in their albums--I highly recommend them. The quality of the dolls are in my humble opinion superior to American girl dolls, the book series are Christ centered and they even have a Christ centered curriculum that can be used for a group of girls during the tea parties or Bible studies. How neat is that?!

    Many blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. June, you inspired me last year with your Christmas Tea Party. I has one last year for my girls. It was lovely.

    I wish I could come over for some tea and fellowship. It sounds awesome.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These make our tea parties look like peanuts!

    We love to make our own scones now and have regular tea parties with the children here at home. It is much cheaper! We do little things to pretty it up though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for explaining the difference between "high tea" and a regular tea. We lived in England, and yes, "high tea" was a meal -- usually with sandwiches and stuff, kind of like a supper: heavier. I believe such a tea (or meal) originated in the highlands (like in Scotland), with the people who worked out in the fields and hills all day and wanted a heavier "tea," hence, the name high tea.

    Incidentally (this is beside the point) this is the same as the difference between High German and Low German (the language). High German originated in the highlands of the southern (mountainous) part of Germany, Low German originated in the lowlands toward Holland, and has nothing to do with high class or low class, as with the meal of "high tea".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your lovely blog through Paulina at "Swept and Garnished" and so happy I did! What a beautiful and inspirational place to visit, a true blessing.

    By the way, I love tea parties too!:o)

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely timing! I just happen to be going to a tea party in a little less than two hours. My first tea since I played with dolls some twenty years ago, and the very first tea for my 2 1/2 year old daughter!

    Now I will feel ever so less ignorant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a lovely as well as educational post. I wasn't aware of the different ways "tea times" were served. Where did you learn this information?

    The pictures were lovely as well. I've never actually been to a ladies tea, but it sure sounds wonderful.

    By the way, how do people dress when they go to a tea? You left that bit of information out of your blog post. :)

    ~Mrs. Lady Sofia~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post! I love high tea...so elegant! It was the highlight of our trip to England so many years ago! Thank you for the memories...your pictures are stunning. I am so gald I found your blog!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment! Each and every single one of you are welcomed here with open arms. I love to hear from you so feel free to share what is on your heart.

I look forward to hearing from you!