Saturday, February 7, 2009

Refusing A Limited Vision of Womanhood

"For a Christian, having babies is not about birthing pains, changing diapers or baking cookies (though it includes all of these). Having babies is about transforming the world forever. This investment will last, not for thirty years, not for my lifetime, but f-o-r-e-v-e-r. The investment is realized on earth and pays dividends for eternity.

On earth, we pray that these children will advance the very kingdom of God. But in heaven, the souls of every redeemed child will stand with me throughout eternity before the Lord Jesus. The pressures of today (be they financial, physical, etc.) that taunt Christians to self-consciously distort God’s fruitful purpose for the womb, and to separate life from love, will seem infinitesimally small as we look back upon this whisper of a life with our children beside us in eternity.

My children can have more far-reaching implications for society and posterity than anything else I can do. Having babies and training children for Jesus Christ means my life work will last forever. I hurt for you and those sad, misguided souls who would think of prolific motherhood as reducing women to the status of “baby machine.” I refuse to accept the minimizing, selfish, materialistic, and limited vision of womanhood dispensed by the apostles of modernity and relevancy in this generation. My dream is far greater."

-B. Phillips 


  1. Amen! The role of mother is much, much bigger than many people realize.

    "Which Proverbs 14:1 Woman?"

  2. Hi, I love your blog. I've spent hours reading your posts. They have inspired some of my own. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

    I've given you a blog award, find it here:

    God Bless,
    KC @ Lil Momma's Haven

  3. Thanks for sharing a portion Beall's response. I totally agree with her in that my role as a mother is more than what the world says it is. My children are being raised for the glory of God! I enjoy your site, too.


  4. So great. This is such an important concept that is all too quickly being forgotten in our world today.

  5. This is beautiful. She's absolutely right. God's plans are so much bigger!

  6. How well put! Amen to this one! I wish everyone could read this post. Yes, this is the role of a mother (the true role). Thank you for this uplifting writing.

  7. I enjoyed reading the excerpts from the letter on your blog today. It was very timely to me as I was just remembering the birth of my first child 21 years ago. As I baked my sons cake, and we all celebrated the birth of Andrew I was very thankful for being a mother. I am so grateful that God has blessed us with 9 children, and I even thank him for the 3 small blessings that are in heaven. Every child that God has sent into my life has enriched me as person and taught me things I needed to know.

  8. Praise God! That was an extremely encouraging biblical response to the limited vision of womanhood in our day... Amen.

    JOYfully in Him,

  9. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing Beall's response! I've recently found out that I'm pregnant with our third blessing from the Lord...our youngest is 8 months old. I've endured many questions as to why are we choosing to have so many children, so close together, etc etc. And sometimes it's hard to explain our views to people who don't really want to understand. Beall put it so well, and it was refreshing and encouraging to read what she had to say. Our children will impact this world for the Lord far after we're gone. What a great thought! Thank you so much again for sharing this post with us!


Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment! Each and every single one of you are welcomed here with open arms. I love to hear from you so feel free to share what is on your heart.

I look forward to hearing from you!